Canada is a beautiful country with many diverse weather conditions. Right no in the cooler months, it’s great time to take a few moments to prep your home and property for the coming of winter.
Here are a few tips for Home Maintenance during the fall months:
- Check for Peeling Paint on your House or Building. Catching this early will save on costly repairs in the future, and fixing it in fall will mean your structure is protected over the winter.
- Clean the gutters. We have all probably seen this done on TV at some point or another, but it’s an important step in home maintenance. Clear clogged leaves and debris from the gutters, and wash out the downspouts with water. This protects against ice damming which can happen over winter and cause damage to roof and siding.
- Caulk around windows and doorframes. This will help keep the heat in over winter, and helps prevent water from seeping in and freezing, or causing mould.
- Inspect the roof. Check your roof for any damage that may have occurred over the course of the year, and make repairs as needed. Changes in weather and temperature can cause damage over time, and being proactive means less expensive repairs later.
- Check your heating system. No one wants to wake up to a freezing cold house, have a licensed heating contractor inspect your heating system to ensure it is in good order before winter settles in.
- Seal your driveway. Falls a beautiful time of year, and there is still time to protect your d
riveway. Sealing it now will help to extend the life of the asphalt and protect from the ravages of winter.
- Reverse Ceiling fan. Create an upward draft that will more evenly distribute warm air around the room.
- Clean and winterize outdoor equipment. Tidy up the lawn mower and weed whacker, and cover up pool supplies and HVAC units to ensure they are in top shape once spring arrives again.
- Turn off and Drain hose. Turning off the water to the hose over the winter will help prevent freezing and pipe bursts.
- Replace furnace Filters. Furnace filters should be replaced once a season, and will allow for cleaner and more efficient airflow through your home or business.
By taking the above under consideration, you will be able to enjoy the best the season has to offer, and welcome Winter with confidence.