With the recent Ontario weather, water claims have been on the rise. More and more Canadians experience flooding due to heavy rainfalls. Here are a few maintenance tips to keep your home safe from Water Damage. Check out these simple ways to protect your property and prevent your money from going down the drain.
What you can do to prevent Water Damage:
- inspect basement walls for cracks
- clean gutters and downspouts
- inspect sump pump and hot water heaters
- check for broken pipes and overflowing toilets (these ones are easy to spot)
- make sure your appliances are well maintained
- if you’re away and cold weather is forecast, make sure somebody checks in every couple days
Even with the best prevention, water finds a way into your property, here’s a few ways in which you can protect your assets:
- if it’s clean water (not from the sewer) place furniture on blocks
- or if you can, take out anything that’s not permanently installed
- install dehumidifiers and fans as necessary
- Call your broker, we can help you determine if it’s worth putting in a claim.
If black water (sewer backup) enters your property, get in touch with us or the insurance company and we’ll arrange for a professional to fix the issue and prevent further damage so you don’t have to get your hands dirty
If you find you’re Basement flooded, leave it to the professionals to take care of you and your property. Even with the most proactive approach mould can still sneak up on you.
Signs of Mould:
- Discolouration on walls, ceilings or furnishings
- Stains on carpets, drapes or storage boxes
- Rotting wood or musty smells
Our Personal Insurance Customers received an email a few months ago with some tips on the water coverage available.
For our Commercial Insurance Customers water damage coverage is a bit more flexible. The two key coverages are flood and sewer back up. Here is a brief description of each:
Covers damage to your building and contents caused by overflowing bodies of water, heavy rain, melting snow/ice or blocked drainage systems. Property left outside is generally not covered
Protection for loss or damage related to the back-up or escape of water or sewage from sewers or drains.
Remember, Water damage can be scary, but we’re here to help. Give us a call if you have any questions about preventing damage or if Water Damage has occurred, we can help assist you and ensure damage is repaired in a timely manner.